- Proofread your letter before sending it out. Mistakes on a cover letter or resume will damage your chances of seeing anyone for an interview.
- Personalize your letter, point out things you know about the company and its culture.
- Make sure it is addressed to the right company. Many people overlook changing the name of the company in the body of the letter. After sending out many letters it can be easily overlooked.
- Show that you have done your research about the company by pointing out something about them, this looks good in the eye of the recruiter.
- Keep it concise. You will lose the interest of the reader if your letter is too long.
- Tell a little about your accomplishments and what you can bring to this job.
- Direct the content to the market.
- Match the paper to the resume.
Return to Links & Tips page